Sunday, January 6, 2013

It's Race Week


Around springtime last year I had the not so brilliant grand idea that my family should journey south to Orlando and compete leisurely run in the Walt Disney World Half Marathon.  At the time it sounded like ALL fun and not much thought was actually put into the whole "run 13.1 miles" part. Well this Saturday at 4:30am (I am already nauseated just thinking about that) I will approach the start line to complete my first ever half marathon. Luckily, I will not be doing this alone. My husband, sister, and brother-in-law will all be racing as well! Mom, Dad, and Anna Scott will be our cheerleaders on the sideline. 

All jokes aside, I am really excited about this trip, I have been training for 12 weeks and it really has not been all that bad.  My weekly schedule consisted of running 5 miles two days a week, one long run on the weekend that increased in mileage each week, and then strength training with some cardio thrown in the other days.  My longest run thus far is 11 miles. It was pretty tough, but if I can run 11 miles what's 2.1 more miles, right? Many have asked me what my "goal time" is.  Since this is my first half marathon ever, my goal is to cross that finish line without any of my body parts injured! The past two weeks my right ankle is having shooting pains beginning around mile three.....not good.  So, I'm just praying to get through without falling down :) I would love to finish in under 2 hours but I haven't really been consistent with that time during training.  And yes, Mary Catherine, Alan, and Scott will all beat me. And I have accepted that :)  They are all "experienced runners" and I am a rookie. That's my excuse! 

I know that hundreds of thousands of people run not only half marathons but full marathons (insane) all the time but I'm pretty proud of myself for setting a goal and sticking with it.  We will also get to spend three days playing in Disney and the Christmas lights are still up! I'm pretty pumped about that.


  
Starting 2013 off with a bang! 

Off to Disney.......Stay tuned for the race re-cap! 


1 comment: